The awards are open to state and non-state schools in Queensland.
You can apply for a Peter Doherty Award if you are a:
- Student who has completed Year 11 in a Queensland school and are currently enrolled in at least two Year 12 approved senior science or technology or engineering or mathematics subjects. You also need to have attained a very high level of achievement or equivalent in at least two applicable Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority or other approved curriculum senior science, technology, engineering or mathematics subjects in Year 11.
- Teacher in a Queensland school who has implemented strategies to lift student performance in science or technology or engineering or mathematics; and who inspires others to ensure every student succeeds through their ongoing contributions to the learning outcomes of both students and other staff.
- School-based STEM Support Officer (scientific assistants, teacher aides or other support officers) supporting the operational aspects of a dynamic and efficient STEM school curriculum.
- School that demonstrates initiative and commitment in managing and promoting science or technology or engineering or mathematics across the whole school and within the community.
- Queensland-based education partner (tertiary, industry, business, government, research or education institution, school volunteer, school mentor and community organisation) that encourages productive STEM partnerships with schools.
(Please note: as Environmental Education Centres and Outdoor Education Centres are established institutions to provide education instruction to persons enrolled at State Schools these centres should apply for the STEM Education Partnership Awards)
Applicants may be nominated by themselves or by another person. Previous Peter Doherty Award recipients are not eligible to apply. Applications should not be for projects or initiatives that are the same or similar to previously submitted applications unless the project or initiative is significantly enhanced or modified.
How the award is to be used
For students the award is to be used to:
- undertake activities associated with tertiary STEM courses
- attend conferences, forums or events that will extend your experiences in STEM
- purchase equipment that can assist your learning and development in STEM
- undertake research projects, including experience in a research laboratory.
For teachers and support officers, the award is to be used to:
- assist you to undertake appropriate professional development activities acceptable to your principal and within the normal guidelines of your employing authority.
For schools and education partners, the award is to be used to:
- assist in undertaking further STEM activities.
Attendance at the award ceremony
It is anticipated that the successful applicants will attend the awards ceremony. If required, travel and accommodation expenses will be paid by the Department of Education and Training for the award recipients. For student awards the travel and accommodation expenses will also be paid for two accompanying adults if required.